Bringing Newport together since 1928
The Lysaght Institute was built by the joint efforts of the firm of John Lysaght Ltd and its employees, to celebrate the contribution of the workforce to the success of the Orb Steelworks. In its heyday, the steelworks employed 3,000 people. ”The Stute” opened its doors in December 1928 and quickly became an integral part of the local community.
Standing in over eight acres of its own grounds, it boasted a ballroom (with maple wood dance floor), billiard room, skittle alley, public bar and lounge. The Lysaght Institute provided workers and their families with a wide range of social activities and events for many years.
The Lysaght Institute as it was closed its doors for the last time in 2001 and sadly the building deteriorated rapidly.
The Institute was bought by Linc Cymru and re-opened in November 2012 following a £3 million refurbishment, transforming it into an exciting meeting, conference and events venue fit for the 21st century.